What to do After a Hit and Run Car Crash

Identifying a hit and run driver can be difficult but not impossible. Hit and run accidents are classified as criminal offenses in all 50 states. Often times if a hit and run does not result in serious damage or any injuries, the police may regard this incident as a low priority and your case may be assigned to a traffic division or another department.

But if the accident results in serious injuries, damages or death and you can identify the car or the driver, they can open up a criminal investigation. Typically, if the police can confirm that the driver left the scene of an accident, that person can possibly even be arrested.

If you live in a no-fault insurance state your insurance company should compensate you regardless of who was at fault. This is especially helpful in a hit and run accident, when you can locate the driver.

If a driver damaged your personal property for instance your driveway by your home, a mail box, fence or any other property you own, your homeowner’s insurance may cover these damages.

It is important however, to try and identify the driver who left the scene after they hit you. You can do the following to try and identify the hit and run driver:

  • Get eye witness identification. If someone witnessed the accident, you can ask them if they were able to identify the vehicle model and make or a description of the driver who left the scene.
  • Video footage. Often times, businesses have video cameras. You can knock on the doors of the local businesses that were near by the accident and ask them if they can provide the video. If the business owner is not willing to give this video footage to you, your car accident attorney can subpoena them as part of a lawsuit.
  • Persistence. If you were able to get a license plate number, you can trace the owner of the vehicle through the DMV office. This may help you file an insurance claim against the driver.

Even if you are able to identify the driver in a hit and run, many times the driver will not admit to being in the accident. In this case you would need to get an attorney to assist you. Many attorneys don’t charge you a fee until you are awarded a settlement in a lawsuit (they usually take a percentage).

If you work with an attorney, you may be able to sue for medical bills related to your injuries, missed time off work due to the accident as well as pain and suffering.

Our nationwide network of car accident attorneys can help you. We are available 24/7. Call us at: 855-272-6990.



How to Drive Safely on a Long Road Trip

When traveling long distances, such as on a road trip, it is important to adequately prepare for the journey and drive safely on the road to avoid accidents. Accidents do commonly happen on long distance driving trips because the driver is often working outside of his comfort zone. Follow these simple tips to minimize the chance of an accident on a long trip: Read more

Car Crashes Related to Head-on Collisions

Head-on automobile crashes can be catastrophic to all involved, both physically and financially. Even at slow speeds, fatalities can occur when two vehicles crash head-on. What should you consider doing if you or someone you know has been in a head-on collision? A lawyer can help you get compensation for both your property damages and medical expenses, and even additional compensation for emotional pain and suffering. If another driver has been careless or reckless, you should retain the services of a personal injury lawyer that has a deep understanding of traffic laws to get the full extent of compensation you deserve. Read more